Reports To: Area Manager
The purpose of this job description is to communicate the responsibilities and duties associated with the position of the PROPERTY DIRECTOR. While the following information should be considered a comprehensive description of this position, it should also be noted that some responsibilities and duties may not be specifically addressed.
Every team member is expected to perform any reasonable task or request that is consistent with fulfilling Becovic Management Group of Indiana’s objectives. Our company emphasizes a TEAM APPROACH and expects every person to perform any reasonable task or request that is consistent with fulfilling company objectives.
It is imperative that you review these duties, skills, and physical requirements closely and that you understand that, by signing the Job Description Acknowledgement, you are verifying that you can perform all the duties, have the skills, and possess the physical abilities that are necessary to perform the job as described.
The Property Director is fully accountable for all property operations. The purpose of the PROPERTY DIRECTOR is to effectively manage and coordinate persons, activities, and available resources in order to accomplish property objectives as set forth by the property supervisor and property owner. These objectives will include maximizing occupancy levels and property values. In addition, the PROPERTY DIRECTOR will train the Assistant Manager or Senior Leasing Consultant to assume all duties of /the PROPERTY DIRECTOR in the event of the PROPERTY DIRECTOR’S absence.
Can be an hourly rate position or exempt status, if permitted.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Conduct all business in accordance with Becovic Management Group of Indiana’s policies and procedures, Fair Housing, Americans with Disabilities Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, and all other laws pertaining to apartment homes.
· In conjunction with the AREA MANAGER and VICE PRESIDENT, the PROPERTY DIRECTOR will assist in formulation of budget for each upcoming calendar year. The PROPERTY DIRECTOR is responsible for staying within the established budget guidelines throughout the year.
· Ensures that all rents are collected when due and posted in a timely manner by close of business same day. Makes sure that all bank deposits are made immediately, and deposits are reported on a daily basis.
· Performs evictions, utility cut-offs and landlord liens as required on delinquent rents.
· Provides constant vendor/contractor communications concerning work scheduling, billings, vendor relations and certificates of insurance. The PROPERTY DIRECTOR is responsible for approving and submitting all invoices to corporate office for payment and ensuring invoices are submitted in a timely manner.
· Hires, trains, motivates, supervises, and terminates all on-site staff to achieve operational goals of assigned property. This includes new employee orientation, annual performance reviews, review and approval of timesheets, instructing and advising on-site staff of employee procedures and guidelines.
· Conducts on-going training with office staff, e.g., leasing paperwork, workplace safety, and any other type of training that may be needed daily.
· Ensures that lease files are complete, and that completion of leases is being executed properly.
· Responsible for office opening on schedule, condition of office and model apartments.
· Attends scheduled corporate management meetings, usually held on a quarterly basis at the corporate office.
· Maintains records on all aspects of management activity on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis. Submits required reports to corporate office on a weekly and monthly basis.
· Maintains positive customer service attitude and ensures entire staff is doing the same.
· Makes periodic inspections of resident move-in/move-outs.
· Reviews all notices to vacate to determine the cause of the move-out.
· Initiates and implements policies/procedures to maintain resident communications, e.g., complaints, service requests, etc.
· Physically walks and inspects property on a regular basis; Verifies condition of vacant apartments.
· Updates board indicating vacancy status daily. Coordinates with maintenance and make-ready staff to ensure timely preparation of apartments after move-out.
· Monitors and schedules all maintenance activities.
· Conducts market surveys monthly and provides trend report information. Shops competition and is aware of neighborhood market conditions.
· Welcomes and shows property to prospective new residents. Also, handles incoming phone calls from prospective new residents and completes appropriate paperwork.
· Maintains awareness of market/industry conditions and trends via trade publication, professional organizations, etc.
· Reports all liability and property incidents to the corporate office immediately. Ensures that all workers’ compensation claims are reported, and proper paperwork is completed.
· Manager completes any pertinent safety checklists with maintenance staff.
· Performs any additional duties or tasks as assigned by the AREA MANAGER or VICE PRESIDENT.
The position requires at least 3 years of experience in on-site property management; 1 year of experience as a Manager. Must have a background in supervision and a successful track record of accomplishments.
Computer Skills: Word Processing/Resman Software Knowledge
Office Equipment: Calculator, Computer, Fax/Copy Machine, Telephone, etc.
Work Hours: Minimum of 40 hours per week. Must be available evenings, nights, and weekends for staffing needs and emergencies.
· High School diploma or equivalent is required.
· Certified Apartment Property Supervisor or Certified Apartment Manager (CAPS or CAM preferred)
· Bachelor’s Degree preferred
· Stand and walk or sit alternatively depending on specific needs of the day. Estimate 60% of time is spent on feet and 40% sitting at desk.
· Have occasional need (33% to 66% of the time) to perform the following physical activities:
o Bend/Stoop/Squat Pick up litter, filing
o Climb Stairs Inspect and show property
o Push of Pull Inspect or show property, open and close doors
o Reach Above Shoulder Inspect property, store/retrieve supplies
· Have frequent need (33% to 66% of the time to perform standing and walking activities related to inspecting and presenting property
· Constant need (66% to 100% of time to perform the following physical activities:
o Writing/Typing Corporate, resident communication
o Grasping/Turning Telephone, doorknob use
o Finger/Dexterity Operation of office equipment
· Lifting/Carrying (paperwork, deliveries, files, miscellaneous/:
o Over 25lbs. Rare need (less than 1% of the time)
o 20 lbs. – 25 lbs. Occasional need (1% to 33% of the time)
o Less than 20 lbs. Frequent need (33% to 66% of the time)
o Under 10 lbs. Constant need (66% to 100% of the time)
· Constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to complete forms, read and review reports and a wide variety of correspondence, and view a computer screen. Frequent need to see small detail.
· Frequent need (33% to 66% of the time) to see things clearly beyond arm’s reach (inspecting property, neighborhood surveys).
· Must be able to determine colors properly because of decorating, design, paint colors, etc.
· Constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to communicate over telephone and in person with property owners, corporate and resident management, vendors, and residents.
· Constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to communicate over telephone and in person.
· Must be able to work in a fast-paced and customer service-oriented environment.
· Performs duties under pressure and meet deadlines in a timely manner.
· Works as part of a team, as well as complete assignments independently.
· Takes instruction from supervisors.
· Exercises problem-solving skills.
· Interacts with co-workers, supervisors, guests, and the public in a professional and pleasant manner.
· Frequent need (20% to 25% of the time) to utilize personal transportation to inspect apartment property and surrounding neighborhood, Indiana Apartment Association for training programs, and visit the corporate office.
· Must have a valid driver’s license and automobile insurance.
· Indoors (66% to 100% of the time); frequently outdoors, all conditions (33% to 66% of the time).
· Occasional exposure to caustics, solvents, oils, fumes, flammables, pesticides, etc. (less than 10%).
· HIGH. Must be able to apply principles of logical thinking to define problems, collect pertinent data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and initiate appropriate course of action. Must effectively convey ideas, images, and goals to a diverse group of personalities.
· Learns and complies with all company safety rules.
· Uses appropriate safety equipment at all times
· Immediately reports all unsafe conditions to supervisors.
· Must be familiar with all safety features or equipment, machinery, or materials encompassed by job duties.
· Must check with supervisor if there is a question as to the safe procedure to be used for any job function.
· Employees must fulfill the performance standards of this position and comply with policies, rules, and procedures of the company, including those set out in the Employee Handbook, or otherwise communicated (verbally or in writing) to employees.
· This job description is intended to describe the general nature and the work responsibilities of this position. This job description and duties of this position are subject to change, modification, and addition as deemed necessary by Becovic Management Group of Indiana. Employees are required to comply with supervisory instructions and perform other job duties, responsibilities and assignments requested by supervisors, managers, or other company officials.
· This job description does not constitute an employee contract between the company and any employee.
· The job responsibilities of this position may include cross training in other functions or positions to ensure satisfactory operation of the department or work area.